Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Everybody who issomebody loves assessment

You see, I'm not the only one who is obsessed with the proper role of assessment. Scott McLeod gives a logical case for assessing before instruction, just in case your little learners already know what you're trying to teach 'em. The concept is so simple and elegant, however it opens up such a can of worms. If they already know it, now what do I do? Actually, it opens up a world of engagement and enthusiastic students who can go on to explore something new and challenging and in greater depth. So, jump right in and start assessing Day one!

1 comment:

Junie B. said...

Love the title of this post! I will be more than happy to continue assessing my young learners...and now it sounds as if I have permission to start on Day 1instead of Day 2! How great is that! :) The best part of pre-assessment is it encourages differentiation and allows our learners to reach new heights individually.